Overseas British passport applications
How long will it take?
Your application should take 6 weeks from when it’s received by Her Majesty’s Passport Office in the UK. You may have to attend an interview. Applications will take longer if HM Passport Office need to ask you for more information or if the documents or photographs you send are rejected. Don’t book any travel until you have a valid passport. If you need to travel more urgently, you may be able to apply for an Emergency Travel Document.
What does it Cost?
You’ll have to pay a fee for your passport as well as a courier fee of £19.86. The courier fee covers the cost of sending your passport and supporting documents back to you securely.
|| Passport fee
|| Total to pay (including courier fee)
| Adult standard 32-page passport
|Adult jumbo 48-page passport
How do I apply?
You must apply and pay for your passport online.
Before you start you need:
- Your current passport
- 2 identical new photos of you (or your child, if it’s a child passport application)
- Any other current passports issued by other countries
- A MasterCard, Visa, Visa Electron, Visa Debit or
- Maestro (UK Domestic) card - Maestro (International) cards aren’t accepted.
- Read the guidance notes to help you fill in your online application.
- Check which supporting documents you must send with your application.
- Any documents that aren’t in English (including documents showing an address) must be translated by a professional translator.
- You will need to print, sign and post your declaration form at the end.
- Start your application on Her Majesty’s Passport Office website www.gov.uk/overseas-passports/y/canada/renewing_old/adult/united-kingdom
- You must include all your supporting documents with your application.
- You’ll get 6 weeks to provide any that are missing.
- Your application will be cancelled and you won’t get a refund if you don’t provide them in time.
Contact the Passport Advice line
Telephone: +44 (0) 300 222 0000
Monday to Friday, 8am to 8pm (UK time)
Saturday, Sunday and public holidays, 9am to 5:30pm (UK time)