enzh-CNfrdeja

tmb enroute dec 2012Here is the cover of the enRoute magazine issued December 2012.

A look at the Lone Star landscape, including Philip Johnson's Fort Worth Water Gardens.

Shot by JUCO in Fort Worth, Texas.

(Source: issuu.com/spafax/docs/enroute_december_2012)


Continuing the Time Travel: 75 Years in Events. Started in NetLetter #1419.

1953 - Sharp new employee uniforms.

In May 1953, a standard new blue uniform for all groups in the company makes a system-wide appearance.

For flight operations, this is the first major uniform change since 1937. The basic uniform is an off-blue shade; in summer, flight attendants switch to a sky-blue shade. Shirts, blouses, hats and ties and company insignia have been altered or redesigned, and both flight and ground personnel wear ID brevets.

(Source: moments.aircanada.com/timeline)

tmb 550 1953 new uniforms

An early Trans-Canada Air Lines historical event in 1946.

Improved Atlantic service.

Trans Atlantic flights made by Trans-Canada Air Lines have now been increased to four per week. Lancastrians leave Prestwick on Sundays, Mondays, Wednesdays and Fridays for Montreal  and on a normal flight there is accommodation for ten passengers and 3,500 pounds of mail, express and baggage.

Half fares are now available for children between two and twelve years old accompanied by a passenger aged twelve or over.

(Source: www.flightglobal.com)

Please note: This article is posted in the Flight Global Archives. Registration on their site is required to view.


horizons logoExtracted from the “Horizons" magazine.

Issue dated July 1988.

Heathrow pioneers new storage system.

tmb bert huttonIn May 1998, Air Canada's supply and stores division of the Facilities & Supply Branch in London, England, pioneered an automated system for storing small and medium size aircraft and ground equipment spares.

Here 'Storeman' Bert Hutton operating the Kardex Industriever storage unit.

tmb bruce aubinIn this photo, Bruce Aubin, Vice President, Facilities & Supply is seen here (left) officially opening the new London Heathrow storage system with (in the foreground) Richard Calderwood of Karden Systems and Peter Hodges, Manager, Supply & Stores, Europe/Asia.

In 1988, with the introduction of B-767 fin #613 a new colour scheme was introduced.

That summer Canadians and people around the world noticed a subtle change in the public face of Air Canada.

An Air Canada image which still looked reassuringly familiar, but which had that extra touch of class and freshness which is part of a dynamic, professional, forward looking, world-class airline.

For the first time ever, Air Canada had a completely coordinated look - from uniforms to aircraft interiors and exteriors.

1988 new uniforms

Regarding the 'Maple Leaf' emblem, the design remains unchanged, as the public likes it and the 'Roundel' on tail of aircraft was larger.

These are some of the designs suggested for the aircraft tail but were discarded.

tmb 550 discarded designs

Our name on the signature was modernized with use of new lettering and use of upper and lower case letters ('Air Canada' versus 'AIR CANADA').

A new burgundy stripe was added under red stripe on all aircraft and ground equipment (to tie in with burgundy inside aircraft and other facilities).

tmb 550 new paint job
Below are the new look for the ticket jackets and baggage tags.
 tmb new tags 01 tmb new tags 02

Seventy of our Toronto Airport employees joined forces against a Worldways team for the annual aircraft pull competition during Canada's Fitweek.

Air Canada won the challenge by towing an empty stretch DC-8 weighing approximately 150,000 lbs, an impressive 1,280 feet. Worldways only managed a mere 500 feet.  Congratulations to the Toronto team and a tip of the hat to organizers Jean-Yves Neault and Sylvie Atterbury.

tmb 550 tug a war

Issue August 1988.

Our Prestwick and Glasgow staff gathered for a group photo with the President, Pierre Jeanniot, during his visit in 1988. 

(No names were provided – eds).

tmb 550 gla pwk staff

Who's who on the ramp at Toronto (YYZ)

There are a lot of new faces appearing on the ramp in Toronto and we would like to extend a warm welcome to our new Station Attendants.

'Who'  are back row, from left to right: Len Daigle, Scott Bankley, Bill Blyth, Larry Fleury, Nick Vander Doelen, Dave Noseworthy, Geordie Bloomfield, Andrew Allan and Doug Lunn.

In the front row: Mike McLaughlin, Nevio Menegon and Jim Bédard.

tmb 550 yyz ramp newies

Our Scandinavian representatives, from left to right are: Eva-Lotta Drake, Eva Karam, Maj Lagnerud-Tedblad, Lotta Halidin and Louise Ortegren.
 tmb 550 scandinavian staff

CF-TDJ fin #357 was the first DC-3 for Trans-Canada Air Lines and delivered on September 22, 1945.

Story time: CF-TDJ began as US-AAC C-49-1 43-1985. Acquired by Canadair in 1945, it was converted as one of Trans-Canada Air Lines original DC-3's.

However, "TDJ" soon was re-sold to Goodyear Tire and Rubber of Toronto on October 4, 1948. Canadair then installed the deluxe interior. "TDJ” faithfully served Goodyear into 1984, when it was replaced by a Learjet.

Sometime later it was suggested to Captain Don Murray (who had flown “TDJ” from the day it joined Goodyear) that instead of dumping its beloved DC-3 for far less than it was worth, Goodyear could try donating it to Canada's National Aviation Museum (NAM) in Ottawa in exchange for a decent tax receipt.

Being a history-minded and penny-wise fellow, Don, listened, then jumped on the suggestion. A deal was arranged with the NAM at Rockcliffe.

On December 19, 1983, Bob Bradford (head of the NAM) and several guests, Larry Milberry and Ken Molson included, boarded "TDJ" for its nostalgic last flight. In perfect weather we cruised up to Rockcliffe, made a ceremonial flypast on arrival, landed, then watched as CF-TDJ was pushed into the main hangar. There it sits to this day just as you see it below. 

(Source: via Larry Milberry/CANAV Books)

cf tdj

Trans-Canada Air Lines received more than 20 Canadair DC-3 rebuilds.

Below, CF-TEG sits in its polished glory at Cartierville, ready for customer acceptance.

"TEG" was delivered on May 31, 1946 and assigned fin #380. It served TCA 1946-57, then was sold to Canada's Department of Transport on August 21, 1957, registered CF-GXW, where it served until 1985. In 1986 it flew around the world promoting Vancouver's Expo 86. In 1999 it was registered to Lance Toland Ltd, Wilmington, Delaware, USA as N173RD. (View at FlightAware.com)

(Source: via Larry Milberry/CANAV Books)

cf teg

Current Mail List

Join our Mail List

Please use the form below to sign up to our mail list. All information below is required.
Airline
Thank you for subscribing to The NetLetter.